Pages

Monday, August 21, 2023

Plethora, Part 2

"We should not fritter our efforts away . . . we should concentrate on endeavor most important to us."
                                          Deng Ming-Dao

Dwight, once he "retired" as president of
Protected Investors of America, did indeed
"concentrate on endeavor most important to" him.

Once the previous post of Plethora was complete I walked about the inside of the house. What I observed was more . . . many more of Dwight's creations. Some of the most treasured are those he pit fired the beach with a gaggle of others. Some camped for two nights but Dwight always came home to sleep in our bed. Whatever dog or dogs we had at the time and I would drive down to see the pit opened. WOW the pieces were always breathe taking.


 




This is the cabinet in which the TV and other
devices call home. The top is a perfect
AND safe place to display
these priceless pit fired creations of Dwight's.

"Pit firing is a primitive, low-tech method of firing potsTraditionally a pit was dug into the earth, and pots were fired in this pit with wood and other organic materials, such as dried dung, used as fuel."  Below are a series of pictures taken at Dillon Beach when Dwight participated in a pit firing. 










When we moved from MuRefuge,
this piece was shipped to Dwight's daughter in Seattle.
It sits on her deck she and husband walk out onto.

I loved this arrangement in the front yard of MuRefuge:
the 4 directions were depicted
by a different nationality
.

This has been used at Halloween.

Some of Dwight's work he used Raku firing as opposed to pit firing. Looking at all these I have a difficult time knowing if they were pit fired or a Raku firing was used?? Can you?




Some pieces are just displayed for their beauty . . .




Other pieces fill an utilitarian purpose . . .




                                                                                






I love using this "sign" for the dishwasher. Dwight's clever double sided clay piece reminds whether the dishes are clean or dirty.

The piece in the back is filled
with salt we use in a neti pot
to clear the nose during allergy season.


After the previous
post where I featured
Dwight's pots for 
houseplants,
I realized this one was not included.



This is my all time very favorite
creation of Dwight's.




                                                                                       

Well, I discovered, when dining out recently with friends,  my posts are actually read. So in response to her inquiry about clay pots I shared that I always found them rather boring . . . useful but unattractive.



One of my favorite pictures of Dwight
taken during a morning walk in Bridgeport, California.
The Sawtooth mountains are in the background.

As I write this post and see pictures of the many impressive, creations in clay that Dwight has left me with, I 

                                         











No comments:

Post a Comment