Pages

Friday, August 11, 2023

First

This has been an unseasonably cool summer. It is more like late winter or early spring in temperature. The tomato plants are not producing many fruits and those on the plants are ripening at a "snail's pace".

However, there are some delightful firsts. That is those plants with their first flower or fruit this season.

Cercis occidentalis (Western redbud)

Along the West side of the house where a hot tub sat when we moved in is this Western redbud. When originally planted it arrived at PageRefuge in 4" pot. It seems to really like its location. And this season its very first gorgeous flower was noted.  

                                                                                         

                                                                                      Lavatera assurgentiflora  

                                                                (Tree mallow from Channel Islands)

                                 

Fortunately my good friends not far from my house has this Tree mallow. It seems to love to reseed so they have many in various sizes. They allowed me to come and dig up one. It now resides along the South border of the front yard. And lucky, lucky, lucky for all who pass by can see the very first flower too.



Calycanthus occidentalis (Western spicebush)


When living South of Sebastopol I planted Western spicebushes near the wettest part of the property. I came to enjoy the unusual color of the flower. Thus one was planted along the ditch that fills with water when there is an abundance of rain.

Helianthus annuus macrocarpus (Hopi Black Dye Sunflower 

Hopi name: Tceqa' Qu' Si)


Sunflowers . . . I was introduced to this particular sunflower while living in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I was told that the Hopi used the seeds to make a black dye they then used to color wool for their rugs.
 
Fortex pole bean (Phaseolus vulgaris)

It seems I have been growing this particular green bean forever. I believe it is the very best tasting. From one year to the next I save seeds. The seeds are then planted as one of Three Sisters (corn, bean, squash).  The bean plants easily twine around the Ashworth Sweet Corn stalks for support.  And I plant Minnesota Midget Melon rather than zucchini or yellow squash which can easily be procured at the Sunday farmers market.


“I have come to terms with the future.
From this day onward I will walk
easy on the earth. Plant trees. Kill
no living things. Live in harmony with
all creatures. I will restore the earth
where I am. Use no more of it resources
than I need. And listen, listen to what 
it is telling me.”
M.J. SLIM HOOEY

Shasta girl asleep on the guest bed for her midday nap.

As is my usual practice each and every day I have a walk about the front, side and back yards. In a relatively short period of time plantings have occurred and rapid growth has magically happened. And while on my walk about I enjoy a





No comments:

Post a Comment