Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Ecstatic

Many years ago I saw my very first Desert Willow tree growing out of a large crack in an old swimming pool. I immediately fell in love with the gracefulness of the branches and the stunning flowers. Luckily living in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I could purchase one which I did from Plants of the Southwest.

Desert willow (Chilopsis linearis)


And now I have one planted on the West side of my house near the steps coming into the back addition. I purchased it from California Flora Nursery in a gallon plastic pot in early November, 2021. It has grown to well over 6' tall with an abundance of buds and slowly opening to gorgeous flowers. I am so ecstatic to have this beautiful tree where I can watch the buds open into flowers.

Scarlet Runners beans

Along the left side of the swing a wire has
been fastened for the vines to climb.

I primarily grow this plant for the flowers. When I grew them in my garden at MuRefuge they would died back to the ground in the winter. Once the weather warmed they would send up green foliage then beautiful flowers and eventually the pods with seeds would appear. As I read more on line about this vine I see that it is labeled as an annual vine. So replanting seeds each early spring will happen here at PageRefuge.




Infrequently dragonflies visit PageRefuge.
This one was perched atop the 
stake for a Silvery Fir Tree tomato plant.

 Chocolate flower (Berlandiera lyrata)


While living in Santa Fe, New Mexico I was introduced to the Chocolate flower. The flower actually does have a slight chocolate smell. It also lasts for quite a long while before fading away. Unfortunately my success rate of growing an abundance of this plant is very, very, very low. I am ecstatic it is a perennial even here where the winter temperatures were way below freezing. The two I have been successful at starting from seed thrive near the north end of the patio.

This was Shasta's very first 
trip to Santa Barbara with us. We are on the
beach walking south towards Butterfly Beach.

Santa Barbara was a frequent destination for Dwight and I + whatever dog or dogs were living with us. We loved this city and considering buying a house there when we moved from MuRefuge. Prices were pretty steep, and remain so. Santa Fe, NM, was where we purchased our home, a Stamm home built in the early 1950’s, for an incredibly reasonable price.
 
Thank you for participating in this mini garden tour. Today the air is filled with smoke from wildfires burning in the northern part of California. Rather than BEing in my garden I am sharing pictures I have previously taken and ecstatic to share with you.

Hopefully we all can share a belly




 

No comments:

Post a Comment