Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Extending

The previous owner had planted a relatively small Dutchman's Pipevine (the only Pipevine native to California) in front of a metal trellis along the West walkway. For the first few years I lived here I diligently watered the Pipevine. The amount of growth was amazing. In the desire of fostering the process from egg to Pipevine Swallowtail I wanted the Pipevine to have ample room for extending itself. 

Since I was already in Sebastopol yesterday for a 9 a.m. Jazzercise class, I drove the Harmony. Unfortunately, and not very smart on my part, I was negligent enough to go without measuring the trellis in place. Thus the first trip I brought home way too short trellis. Back to Harmony for a second time, WITH measurements, I purchased two six foot, metal trellis just like the trellis that is supporting the Pipevine. 

I hammered one trellis into the ground on either side of the original trellis. I then began the tedious process of untangling the Pipevine and extending it from the old onto the two new trellis.  

Dwight created this sculpture for one of my past birthdays.

My dear and longtime friend who has taken care of the Butterfly Lady's bust had her power washed. I then picked her up. Before settling her in her new home I reglued a butterfly that had become unattached. Once the glue was dry she was set in her PageRefuge site. Perhaps, I certainly hope so!, she will bring good vibes for bringing the targeted visitors to the blossoms. These visitors will put into place the cascade of events to bring Pipevine Swallowtail Butterflies to my garden.

Blossoming of the Dutchman's pipes are just now beginning.

Hopefully Pipevine Swallowtail eggs will follow

Then very small Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillars

A stunningly beautiful Pipevine Swallowtail caterpillar

This was the lone caterpillar from the eggs 
my friend Rob shared with me last year.
Unfortunately this caterpillar "disappeared" during one night. SAD!

Pipevine Swallowtail chrysalis

Dutchman's Pipevine fruit

Unfortunately I possess no pictures I have taken of this beautiful butterfly but you can be view hereYou can also check out this informative article written by a Master Gardner.

During the picture taking at PageRefuge as well as reviewing pictures from MuRefuge, searching the web and writing of this post I enjoyed a frequent hearty belly




No comments:

Post a Comment