Pages

Friday, May 26, 2023

Edibles

Strawberries ripe for tonight's dinner salad.

In 2022 bare roots of Albion, Chandler, Seascape and Sequoia were planted along the west fence.  Those purchased from Harmony Farm Supply and Nursery did the worst, some withering and dying before they fully leafed out. When I attempted to get a refund, it was refused since I did not bring the dead plants. Well, I now avoid shopping at what use to be my "go to place". 

At the North most destination along the brick abutting the shed two bare root Boyne (Rubus idaeus) Summer bearing raspberry were planted. Red raspberries are one of my very favorite berries to pick and eat immediately. Eventually the two bushes will produce enough to make jam.  


Then on the North side of the shed two bare root 
Rubus (subgenus Rubus Watson) ‘Black Satin’ Thornless were planted. They are thriving with many baby blackberries noticeable on the bushes now.


Since I and the hummingbirds love the bright red flowers of the Scarlett runner beans, seeds from last years' crop were dried. A few weeks ago the stunningly beautiful seeds were planted. The first leaves now adorn the plant. Unfortunately some BEing is munching on the leaves. Oh well, "they have to eat too" is my mantra.


Pink Pearl apple tree had many flowers which then developed into many teeny, tiny apples. Since the tree is young, all but a few apples were left on the tree to grow to their normal size. This is the apple I use to pink applesauce since the flesh is marbled pink in color . . . hence the name.


Cascadia peas are twining their way up the wire support. With this particular variety of peas the pods can be harvested OR they can be left to develop peas inside. The pods are great in salads or sautéed. I can hardly wait to begin picking peas! Many of the peas rarely see the inside of the house as I love to shell and eat them immediately after picking.


The raised bed was planted a few days ago with the lettuce. The seeds were started on April 09 in a Todd planter. This particular seed package contains seeds from every lettuce Wild Garden Seed grows. The diversity is stunningly beautiful to behold: there is head lettuce as well as red, green and oak lettuce, loose leaf lettuce. So when I scatter the seeds onto the Todd planter I am never sure what exactly will sprout. I love this kind of surprise! 

'Wild Garden Lettuce Mix' 
purchased from Wild Garden Seed.

 

Friday Three Sisters (beans, corn, melon instead of squash) were planted in three circles. When the sun is shining, this particular spot in the backyard receives full sun most all day. The Three Sisters thrive on the warmth of the sun. Radish seeds, to deter insects, were also scattered about. About an inch of soil mixed with chicken manure covered the seeds. Soil amendments was generously applied as well. Once the task was completed, remay was secured to prevent the pesky squirrels from digging in the moist soil.

Rhubarb

Rhubarb is a must have plant for Midwest girl. Luckily this plant resided in the backyard when we purchased this house some two years ago. I cook three or four stalks with just enough organic maple sugar to sweeten. This warm sauce I then pour over my organic blue corn meal pancake for a delicious breakfast!

The edible garden created here on Page Street is providing much food for both the human and canine who lives here. As I tweak the garden so it is "more perfect" (the albatross for a One on the Enneagram), I thoroughly enjoy the process and




No comments:

Post a Comment