Pages

Monday, May 1, 2023

May Day

One of the Celtic cross-quarter days, May Day occurs half way between the Spring equinox and the Summer solstice. May first is the day on which children deliver may baskets to their neighbors front door, ring the doorbell or knock then run and hide. When the door is opened, the person can hear the giggles erupting from the deliverer. I remember doing this and having such fun! Young children growing up in small towns in Iowa, as I did, learned with ease how to entertain themselves.

My May Basket for 2023

Now that I am older I deliver no lomger deliver may baskets. This past Sunday, however, I did purchase "may flowers" from Singing Frog Farm at the Sebastopol Farmers Market. And when I go out to my garden, I see "may flowers": 

Viola odorata (Wild violet)

Lonicera involucrata (Twinberry honeysuckle)
which was Dwight's all time very favorite bush.
There were a half dozen planted
in the creek bed at MuRefuge.

Penstemon heterophyllus
(Blue Bedder penstemon ‘Margarita BOP’)
I learned a funny (well to me)
thing about this name, principally 
that "BOP" stands for  "back of porch".

When I am out in the front, watering the thirsty plants 
like the Sisyrinchium californicum (Yellow eyed grass) and the Twinberry, I often have a frequent belly




No comments:

Post a Comment