Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Request

When I picked up my mail today from the mailbox across the street from my house, I found a lovely message from my Santa Fe friend, DeAnna. In her neck of the woods there has been much monsoon moisture so she is cutting things back. She wanted pictures of my gardens. So, DeAnna, here are some recent photographs from the flowering front yard.

Hopi Black Dye sunflower
also called Tcequ gu'si' by the Hopi.
I began growing these while
living in Santa Fe, NM
They never grew this gigantic! 

The Hopi use the blue/black hull
with alum as mordant
                                              to make wool and 
                                                     basket dye.

Sisyrinchium californicum (yellow eyed grass)

Salvia apiana (White sage)


Calylophus drum mondianus (Sundrops)

which I LOVE

and the bees love

and even the small butterflies love.



                                                   

  




Mimulus aurantiacus (Sticky monkeyflower)


Monardella villosa (Coyote mint 'Russian River'
which is planted near the walkway so
that one's skirt will brush the bush
and release the delicious scent.

Epolibium canum  (California fuschsia ‘Calistoga’)

Salvia clevelandii (‘Winnifred Gilman’ Sage)


Anaphalis margaritacea (Pearly everlasting)
which we used to surround Dwight
at his Celebration of Life.

Erigeron glauques (Seaside daisy 'Cape Sebastian')


Penstemon heterophyllus 
(Blue Bedder penstemon 'Margarita BOP')

Phacelia bolanderi (Bolander’s Phaceli)


So DeAnne this a smattering of what my casa looks like in this Summer. And oh how I wish you could take an enjoyable walk about in my garden with me and  enjoy a frequent



 

No comments:

Post a Comment