Pages

Friday, October 8, 2021

Unlikely

The front yard sheet mulching is now all complete.

As I was finishing up the front yard sheet mulching an Xfinity truck pulled up to the utility pole at the sidewalk to the East. The driver seemed interested in what I was doing. I launched into an explanation of the benefits of sheet mulching. He shared he was going to be putting down landscape cloth and cover it with plastic. EEK! I thought to myself but explained the benefits of regenerating the soil with the sheet mulching. The process of the breakdown of cardboard and woodchips encourages microorganisms in the soil which in turns draws carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Much to my surprise a few days later the same truck drove up to our driveway. The driver stopped by to let me know he was now planning on sheet mulching. He had delivered to his home 4 cubic yards of woodchips from Wheeler Zamaroni. He said it was really expensive so I suggested he call companies that do tree care and get free woodchips as I did. He was so surprised one could do that.

Shasta laying atop the white yarrow.

I must say it is rather satisfying to see an unlikely convert to a Permaculture practice of soil regeneration and carbon sequestration.  Well, lots of people walk by and ask what I am about with the cardboard and woodchips. Unfortunately no one has let me know that they were the least bit interested in duplicating the activity. But an Xfinity employee seems the most unlikely. Once I really thought about it perhaps not so unlikely since he was already planning to remove his lawn. Obviously this man has an open mind in how to accomplish this activity which is ever so exciting to me. 

Since so many just want their previous to the pandemic lives back, this man is aware we all need to move forward differently as we become aware of more healthy practices to combat the climate catastrophe.  Mother Earth depends on each of us doing so AND all of us depend on one another to embrace change with the prevailing evidence of climate catastrophe planet wide. Already the climate catastrophe is becoming way more rapidly destructive than any of the climate scientist had previously thought.

Each of us have the ability to change and change quickly and drastically. Let each and everyone of us set about doing just that and have a frequent good 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment