Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Big Event

“When despair for the world grows in me

and I wake in the night at the least sound

in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,

I go and lie down where the wood drake

rests in his beauty on the water, 

and the great heron feeds.

I come into the peace of wild things

who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief. 

I come into the presence of still water.

And I feel above me the day blind stars

waiting with their light. 

For a time

I rest in the grace of the world, 

and I am free.”

                                       WENDELL BERRY


The 30th Annual Cotati Accordion Festival is a two day, multicultural, multi-generational accordion extravaganza held in La Plaza Park in downtown Cotati. Famous is this event. Several years ago when we were spending time in Santa Barbara and eating at Julia Child's favorite Mexican restaurant, a woman standing in line with us asked where we were from.  When we said "Sonoma County", she said "the home of the Accordion Festival". I was blown away. Of course we had heard of the event but had never been nor did we know anyone who has actually attended the event.

This year the event is on September 25 and 26. We can hear the music right here as we work in our front yard. All the streets are lined with parked cars including the street on which we live. One woman got out of her car and said, "I parked here but have not blocked your driveway." She was so excited to be walking over to the Plaza to hear accordion music and then planned to visit some artists participating in Sonoma County Art Trails. I assured her that she was more than welcome to park where she did since she was so respectful of our ability to back Stella, our Prius, out of the garage and onto Page Street.

Saturday we also went to visit our all time very favorite functional potter here in Sonoma County, and friend, who always participates in Art Trails in spite of the fact he is approaching his 80th birthday. John Chambers has created almost all of the pottery dishes from which we enjoy serving and eating our food.  

The calligraphy was done by
John's late Japanese wife.
I treasure these because no more
are available for purchase
unless of course one can find
one at a yard sale or such.

left to right: fruit bowl, serving bowl,
soup bowl and pudding bowl 
above a large dinner plate
and a lunch plate

We had a lovely visit with John as well as meandered through his home and studio viewing his beautiful work on display. Of course, I could not restrain myself from purchasing 3 bowls, featured below, in the celadon glazed I love so much.


Like Annette Goodheart, my late laughing coach, I partake of and I invite you along for a emotionally releasing





No comments:

Post a Comment