Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Tasty Addition

Earlier this month on the optimal planting day for "fruit" I planted three Heritage "everbearing" red raspberry bareroots from Grow Organic. The North American Maria Thun Biodynamic Almanac 2024 is the guide I use for all my planting, transplanting, pruning, etc. here at PageRefuge.

After about a week after planting the bareroots, green leaves are now evident. 


While living in Santa Fe, New Mexico, I made a weekly (or sometimes more often) trek to Plants of the Southwest. It was here I first learned of these Heritage red raspberries. From this source I bought three and planted along the sidewalk going from the back patio to the garbage bins through a gate to the front driveway. 

Along the adobe wall
the raspberries were planted
behind Dwight and the
covered raised bed
at which he is pointing.

These are not tall and needing support but rather bushy plants. The ripe red raspberries almost never reached the house if I was picking them. Most I picked were popped into my mouth . . . a very "Tasty" treat!!!

In Carrots Love Tomatoes: Secrets of Companion Planting for Successful Gardening by Louise Riotte, the author suggests not planting raspberries 
near blackberries. So the site I would have preferred to plant the raspberries would be in the same area as the blackberries. The planted raspberries now reside in the area on the west side of the house where the previous owners had a hot tub. 

Cercis occidentalis (Western redbud)

is one of my all time favorite trees.

While living in Tucson during one Easter break my office mate, her cousin and I hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon National Park.
This is where I first encountered this spectacular tree. FYI the above Western redbud is also planted in the area previously occupied by a hot tub.

These plants in 4" pots came
from the Growers Exchange:
2 'Common' Comfrey
1  Lemon Balm
1 Borage Blue
2 Tansy

This author suggests planting the heirloom Borage (Borago officinalis) or Starflower which provides organic potassium, calcium and other natural minerals that benefits plants. This edible heirloom provides "clusters of sparkling blue flowers that look like stars fallen from the sky". 

A volunteer in the bed
just to the East of
the patio.
The seed packet for Borage
so more can be started . . . soon.

Well, I think this is a Borage volunteer but I cannot be 100% sure until is blooms. The leaves look so much like Comfrey (Symphytum officinale) to me. In my humble opinion one's garden cannot have too much Comfrey. Of course, the gophers love it too. 

She also recommends planting Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis), or "bee herb" since it attracts bees and Tansy (Tanacetum vulgar) that deters flying insects, Japanese beetles, tried cucumber beetles, and squash bugs as well as flies and ants. My plan is to plant one of the Tansy near the blackberries and one with the raspberries.

This day, as this post is written, the sky is clearing of clouds to allow glorious sunshine. May each of you reading this post engage, as I have when surveying my flourishing garden, engaged in an emotional releasing belly


 

No comments:

Post a Comment