Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Purple Chinese Houses and Pipevine swallowtail caterpillar


Collinsia heterophylla or simply called Purple Chinese Houses are larvae food for the Checkerspot butterfly. They are best planted in the Fall and then they emerge in the early Spring to flower. Below are a few pictures from the patch below our living room window. I scattered seeds from Larner Seeds this past Fall. Now, as you can see from the pictures below there are gloriously stunning flowers.



Pipevine swallowtail caterpillar update. Oh boo! of the five teeny tiny caterpillars Rob gave me only one remains. Below are pictures are chronicling the health and well BEing of the caterpillar flourishing on my largest of three California Pipevines with the scientific name Aristolochia californica.

05/09/2022

05/11/2022

05/15/2022

05/16/2022

05/18/2022

In watching the caterpillar every day and
observing what is it is eating, I notice it 
not only eats the leaves but the stems as well.

And as I am riveted on this caterpillars evolvement I




No comments:

Post a Comment