Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2022

In Recognition of Earth Day, 2022

 Penstemon heterophyllus (Blue Bedder penstemon  ‘Margarita BOP’)

"What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
I let them be left, wildness and wet,
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."
                                   GERALD MANLEY HOPKINS


 Aristolochia californica (Dutchman’s pipevine)
 grows wild in the wildness of 
 California twinning up trees and
supporting the life cycle of the Pipevine Swallowtail.

                                       
The Pipevine pictured above was the only native plant on the property we bought a year ago, now known as PageRefuge. Over the almost year we have now lived here I have cared for this plant. Finally it is flourishing as you can see from the picture above. 

Presently I am wondering if it could support a caterpillar or two? My friend Rob has offered to provide them to me. I am of the mind to accept two. I know if they survive and develop into butterflies that they will lay eggs next season on the fresh, succulent leaves. The black and red caterpillars will demolish many of the leaves before pupating. I truly love watching the life cycle of this magnificent "wild" one!

Pipevine Swallowtail's chrysalis
in the greenhouse at MuRefuge.

Just emerged Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly
in the greenhouse at MuRefuge.

Showcasing, so to speak, members of the wildness here in California only seems fitting on the 2022 Earth Day.

In the foreground: three Calylophus drum mondianus (Sundrops),
then Dwight's stunning green vase,
and in the background three of the
    Penstemon heterophyllus (Blue Bedder penstemon  ‘Margarita BOP’),
all just South of the hummingbird feeder hanging 
in the window of our breakfast nook
so we can view the hummingbirds partaking of the nectar.

I have seen the hummingbirds nectaring on both of the above flowers; just as I was out and about to take the picture I heard the hum of the fast flapping wings of a hummer who dipped and zipped. To me those little bitty birds represent the toughness of the inhabitants of the "wildness and wet". 

As we each herald "long live the weeds and the wilderness", may we also  open our minds, hearts and whole BEing with a hearty belly 







 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment