Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2021

Turning

 

Cassis Peaches bought at the
Sebastopol Farmers Market today.
Not perfect but will be delicious to eat
this Winter once canned!

Today, August 01, is a cross quarter day midpoint between the Summer Solstice and the Autumnal Equinox. In the Celtic tradition this day called it Lughnasadh designated to celebrate the Summer harvest. Today is a reminder of the turning from Summer towards Autumn.
  

 “The Summer was very big.

....

Command the last fruits that they shall be full,

give the another two more southerly days,

press them on to fulfillment and drive

the last sweetness into ” .... the fruit

                                         Rainer Maria Rilke


I am so grateful for the abundance this Summer has offered. When I see all the canned fruit over the past few months, I am filled with gratitude.


Santa Rosa Plums from our tree and Tanis'
Blenheim Apricots
and 4 different kinds of Peaches


I ask for a moment’s indulgence to sit by Thy side.

The works that I have in hand

I will finish afterwards.


Away from the sight of Thy face

My heart knows no rest or respite,

And my work becomes an endless toil

In a shoreless sea of toil.


Today the summer has come at my window

With its sighs and murmurs,

And the bees are plying their minstrelsy

At the court of the flowering grove.


Now it is time to sit quiet

Face to face with The,

And to sing dedication of live 

In this silent and overflowing leisure.

                                   RABINDRANATH TOGORE


Michele, Katie and Leigh
during the Sims Reunion
floating on the McKinzie River in Oregon.
  They are obviously fully embracing leisure.



Today as we honor the turning of the seasons may we





No comments:

Post a Comment