Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2019

Transplant Shock

5 foot tall recently transplanted Pinon Pine (Pinus edulis).
The New Mexico State tree since 1948
and my favorite tree.

The above Pinon Pine was purchased from the Plants of the Southwest 
but grown by a man living "off the grid" in Colorado. This tree along 
with five other Pinon Pines and a number of Bristlecone Pines were
harvested and arrived in Santa Fe, NM, at the height of thSummer 
heat tree over a number of weeks to see if the evident "transplant shock" abated. This tree, like me, felt like a survivor. With subsequent forays to 
Plants of the Southwest to buy habitat plants native to the area, I noted 
new growth and fewer brown, dead needles. Several Sundays ago 
decided indeed I would like to purchase the tree. It took 4 employees to
get the 15 gallon pot with tree out of the its hole in the ground. It fit into 
the back of our Prius with Shasta moving to the front seat and her bed 
relocated. It did weigh the back end down of Stella a lot. One of the 
employees who assisted with getting the tree into the car estimated pot,
dirt and tree weighed about 200+ pounds . . . HEAVY! He also said we
should take a picture of Stella with her 200+ pound cargo to post online 
as advertising for Prius.

The tree in her pot sat several days outside of our garage door waiting 
for the ideal "root" planting time biodynamically. With the burlap removal, 
per planting instructions, the hard red soil and a number of very large "nightcrawlers," aka worms, fell away.  It was challenging for my husband 
and me to tussle the tree, her severed roots and remaining red dirt into 
the wheelbarrow. I had already dug a HUGE hole and had 2 bags of compost 
at hand to fill the hole. Once back connected with Mother Earth's soil, she 
sighed a great sigh of relief to be free of the burlap and plastic pot

More compost was needed to complete the transplanting so back to Plants 
of the Southwest who make wonderful compost from steer manure, straw, 
etc. they sell by the bag. Gail Haggard, owner of the Plants of the Southwest for over 40 years, was greatly distressed with my story of planting this Pinon Pine and refunded all of the $160 paid for the tree immediately. "I do not 
want  to worry. I do not want you to worry about this survival of this tree. 
If it survives 'It is God's gift to you.'"


Well, any of you who know me personally know that "worrying" is what I do best. From the time I brought this beautiful Pinon Pine home to balance out the front with a second Pinon Pine, I was "worried" I would kill this tree . . . as if it was up to little ole me. For me the worrying often is a catalyst to seek solutions, in this case flower essences and essential oil. In a 4 ounce blue glass bottle filled with filtered water, 8 drops each of Arnica, Self Heal and Five Flower, aka Rescue Remedy, all FES Essences from Nevada City, and 8 drops of organic Lavender essential oil were added. Initially I generously sprayed the tree 6 or more times a day and watered morning and evening. The monsoon rains have begun sporadically so watering has been decreased to only in the evening. After a couple of weeks after transplanting this Pinon Pine, the "magic potent" is sprayed only 3 or 4 times per day.

This beautiful Pinon Pine loves her new home and wants to put down roots as Dwight, Shasta and I also desire to do in ours. Pine trees in general seem to send out more extensive lateral roots as opposed to Junipers which send down roots to a far greater depth. The latter survives drought much better than pines as evidenced in the local Juniper-Pinon Pine forest where one sees many large dead Pinon Pines, remnants of the drought in the 1950's, but no dead One Seed Junipers

In previous posts: minimizing transplant shock and rerooting I discussed the beginning of our move from California and relocation in Santa Fe, New Mexico. From my time long ago as "college professor" I was aware of the impact of changes in life or "stressors" as Hans Selye called them. Not only did this "pioneering Hungarian born Canadian endocrinologist" identify stressors, he also described the predictable stages of the body responding to stressors. He called these stages the general adaptation syndrome, aka GAS. The 3 stages are

  1. Alarm stage also known as the fight or flight stage during which the body experiences a burst of energy
  2. Resistance stage in which the body attempts to resist or adapt to the stressor
  3. Exhaustion is the phase during which the body experiences a depletion of energy resources with impairment of the immune system

The process of moving or relocating one's home ranks as a very high stressor not only for humans but canines, too. After living at MuRefuge for over 30 years I was well aware that this move half way across the country to a high mountainous terrain would stress me, my husband and our dog. Even with my awareness of the stress of moving and implementing a wide range of support in relocating, my immune system was so taxed that after my 75th birthday hoopla, I succumbed to a virus affecting both my respiratory and digestive systems. I do not remember feeling so sick and so depleted with minimal energy that was totally used up by essential ADLs (activities of daily living). My shear will (genes from hardy female "pioneers") got me out of bed in the morning to prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner, shop for food and wash clothes. Luckily a dear friend found a wonderful woman who would walk Shasta for an hour each morning. And another friend recommended a delightful woman to clean our house including windows and refrigerator. Awesome to have these wonderful women as part of our lives just now!

The process of transplanting the Pinon Pine brought to my consciousness that I too could use the same spray. From the first spray over my entire body the shift of subtle energy with these flower essences and essential oil is palpable energetically to me.





I, like the transplanted Pinon Pine, who in the above picture shows her new growth of small green needles, am experiencing healing with potential to not only thrive but rejoice in our Santa Fe, NM, home. In addition to the flower essences and essential oil spray, I frequently



No comments:

Post a Comment