Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Finding a Different Rhythm at 6790' MuRefuge



Shasta remembers the lushness of the vegetation at MuRefuge . . . .
and the field to the South of MuRefuge teeming with wildlife
like this doe and her two fawns . . . .
Shasta recently shared through an amazing interspecies communicator that she "REALLY, REALLY, REALLY misses her old territory," aka MuRefuge. 


her big brother, Sage . . . . 
and her duck flock which is now divided into
2 flocks, the older ducks remaining at MuRefuge
and the younger 4 now live a bit to the North
with Sage.
She also shared that the air in Santa Fe is "zingy," "it's harder to breathe," and the "land feels different." All of this is true for all three of us as we deal with the altitude, which is considerably higher than MuRefuge. 

Here at 6790' MuRefuge we all are in the process of finding a different rhythm drawing from the ancient energy stored here in the mountainous soil and surroundings. The vegetation is different, the dryness in the air is different AND the people are different . . . more open and accepting of diversity.

For me the human connection, which has been difficult for me since my childhood move (the Summer after fourth grade) from Corwith to Shenandoah, Iowa, is a new and exhilarating experience  I guarded my heart thinking that was protective and here I realize the folly of that stance. The only downside I note is when I am planting in the front yard people come by and want to make a connection with a chat, thus the planting takes much longer than at MuRefuge.

So I can empathize with Shasta. She wants to BE back in rural residential MuRefuge rather than here in an urban environment where her job of guarding her territory is so much harder with the flood of people and their energy, dogs walking by and/or barking and all the noise from the traffic, not to mention the coyote that boldly trots down the street.


"We advocate takin it easy,
but always being on guard, alert to opportunity. 
 We encourage clever wisdom -- seeing the little things
that hold everything together. 
We have finely tuned senses and enjoy using them.
If you come to work with us, this level one:
learning to fine tune your sensing apparatus.

We like to work with humans who know how to laugh
and have a good time.
But we are not lazy. We love to explore and learn new things.
With an open mind,
you can see what's really present
and sniff out openings for fun and learning.
That's the Coyote way of life?
from Animal Teachings: 
Enhancing Our Lives Through the Wisdom of Animals
by Dawn Brunch
illustrations by Ola Liola

With the frustration of relocation half way across the country, Shasta has become very aggressive with other dogs. To let her know that she is safe and that we are leaders of her pack so she does not have to be, we now use a "gentle leader" when walking her. And I have created a "magic potion" just for her so she has the opportunity to be fully present here at 6790' MuRefuge.


Here she is in the Santa Fe River, no water, with the mountains in the background.


To offer her a connection with "wildlife," we walk most mornings to
Frenchy's Field which use to be a dairy farm. Now this park is for all, two leggeds and four leggeds alike, to enjoy.




Shasta on high alert for prairie dogs and rabbits, too.

It is not surprising that Shasta is unclear about her "job" with our house's location in Santa Fe.

San Felipe Circle runs along the front of our property joining
San Ildefonso Road which becomes San Felipe Avenue
and runs along the side of our property.
As we don't yet have window coverings in our home
headlights at night shine right into our living room
where Shasta can see out the window barking!

'Tis a gift to be simple,
'Tis a gift to be free
'Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be.
And when we find ourselves in the place, just right
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight."
Shaker hymn

As we all find a different rhythm at 6790' MuRefuge, aka "the place just right," we




3 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,
    I enjoy seeing our shared neighborhood through yours and Shasta eyes.
    Thank you. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cathie -
    Your don't know me but I know Dwight from when he was an advisor to the Leadership Institute back in 2010-2011. I am currently an SRI investment advisor so we had that in common and had several good conversations.
    I have been enjoying your blog since I used to live in Santa Fe, I went to school at St. John's College up on the hill, graduating in 1991. I left SF in 1999 and moved to Sonoma County, I now live in Windsor.
    I meant to comment last week because I am old friends with Gordon Tooley, he's a great guy! We used to work together years ago at Plants of the Southwest.
    But this week I had to post something because one of my long time best friends and best man at my wedding used to live at 1919 San Ildefonso. From your picture you're either living in their house or right next door, a crazy small world!
    Thank you for posting and sharing about Santa Fe, I have so many fond memories of my years there, it is such a beautiful place.
    Be well,
    Christopher Peck

    ReplyDelete
  3. An email from my Washington State cousin: "Lovely post made even better by one of my favorite songs. Hugs to Shasta!
    'Tis a gift to be simple,
    'Tis a gift to be free
    'Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be.
    And when we find ourselves in the place, just right
    'Twill be in the valley of love and delight."
    Shaker hymn"

    ReplyDelete