Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Snow


"In the city, we see millions of lives represented 
in the windows, doors, and many floors of each building.
We see excitement and the glories of civilization.
But no matter how much those who follow Tao may enjoy the city,
they understand the need for retreat into nature.

In the countryside, they find the nurturing quality of freedom.
They can see new possibilities 
and can wander without societal impositions.
In the past, pioneers saw the open prairies
and were filled with dreams of dominating nature
with the glories of man.
Now we know different:
We must preserve the wilds for our own survival.

We need time to lie fallow.
If you cannot leave the city,
just find a little quiet time each day 
to withdraw into yourself.
If you are able to walk in fields or in the hills,
so much the better."
365 Tao: Daily Meditations by Deng Ming-Dao


Into the "the countryside" we wandered to enjoy the first real snowfall of the season here in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Of course, those of you who follow this blog knows this countryside is actually a 130 acre dog park. It is a place that allows humans to BE with nature and experience "new possibilities," thus BEingness and rejuvenation happens.

Walking down the arroyo in the quiet, such quiet provided by this snowfall overnight, one cannot help but feel the connection with Tao. We were not the first out into the arroyo but even the footprints left in the snow did not blunt the ever presence of Tao.



A treat for the eager dog!

And a playmate appears ready to romp with Shasta.

"Infinite Spirit, when I pray each day
for shelter for the homeless,
let me not ignore the pet without a home;

As I ask protection for those in areas
of turmoil and unrest,
let me not forget endangered species of life;

When I pray that the hungry be fed,
let me be mindful
that all[sentient BEings]have need of sustenance;

As I ask Divine assistance for those afflicted
by fire, flood, earthquake, storm or drought,
let me remember that this includes every living thing;

In seeking miracle cures for human disease,
may I also speak for the well-being of the planet [her]self.

Let the words of my mouth,
the meditation of my heart 
and the actions of my life be as one,
that I may live each day in harmony
with Mother Earth . . . .
Jennie Frost Butler

And as we live each day in harmony may we also 



2 comments:

  1. The dog park is lovely in the snow! Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and say, Yes! Well said. Wonderful meditations,Cathie! And beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete